Appointing Order Information
Set forth below are the specific items that should be addressed in the appointing order with links to the the corresponding FRCP rule.
- Outline and document the duties of the master, including any investigation or enforcement duties and any limits on the master’s authority. Fed. R. Civ. P. 53(b)(2)(A).
- Identify the circumstances, if any, in which the master may communicate ex parti with the court or a party. Fed. R. Civ. P. 53(b)(2)(B).
- Describe the nature of the materials to be preserved and filed as the record of the master’s activities. Fed. R. Civ. P. 53(b)(2)(C).
- Identify the time limits, method of filing the record, other procedures, and standards for reviewing the master’s orders, findings, and recommendations. Fed. R. Civ. P. 53(b)(2)(D).
- Detail the basis, terms, and procedures for fixing the master’s compensation. Fed. R. Civ. P. 53(b)(2)(E)